Introduction: From Dining Death chair to Table

I was asked by a friend at work to make a desk for his son, all that was required was that IT had a space for his XBOX and it was cheap! I had some old dining chairs lying around and had the theme of exploitation these in the design. At first I was going to strip all the Grant Wood and make a complete revolutionary soma but looking at the bowed material body I decided to try and use them as they were.

Step 1: Strip the Chairs

First of all step is to get two dining chairs and remove the covers, this tooshie be done in a variety of ways. I used a combination of flat head screwdriver and pliers to polish of the staples from the bottom of the chair where the fabric had been attached to the frame. This is time overwhelming but you need to get all of the staples out. When this is done the black bottom covering and seat covers leave descend off easily. You can then remove the foam. You and then require to remove more staples that hold the seat support fabric in place until all of these are separate. When everything is removed you should be left with a nice wooden frame.

Succeeding footfall is to remove the diagonal wooden support which would block the use of a shelf. This was gently persuaded with a hammer!

Set forth of the reason these chairs had been thrown prohibited was because the material body had become loose, so the succeeding pace is to re-gum the frame using either PVA or expanding glue depending upon how loose the entrap has become. I used PVA and clamped it whilst setting.

Whilst this was setting, I occupied the larger holes where the staples had been, with some PVA and power saw dust mixture.

Practise the above for 2 chairs

Footstep 2: Test Height

Then when both frames were strengthened I clamped them together top side down. I worked out how high the table needed to be supported an office chair tallness and other tables merely too considering how much space I needed for the shelves to allow an Xbox.

Once I was cheerful, I marked on the chair legs (which are upside down and at top of table) and cut with a tenon saw.

In the end placed a flat piece of wood on top to test the height of the table and make sure its was level.

Step 3: Sand Frames

So the next whole tone is to sandpaper some chairs down feather, I used a compounding of electric sanders and hand sanding.

Step 4: Assemble Base for Table

Clamp the two chairs together in the desired position (chairs should be facing each other) and fix collectively. I screwed these together for ease and as the screws bequeath non be seen. I also added extra pieces of wood, which were cut from the offcuts, which tie the shortened legs together and wish too be accustomed attach the table top, see pic. These were drilled, glued and screwed from the back. This was done to some sets of presence legs.

Footmark 5: Ledge

Now the table base is assembled we need to make a shelf for each side. The shelf will exist supported by the master copy supports that are in the chair, these used to support the seat. To make the ledge I made a guide from scrap batting order because it is a complex shape and simple derived around this onto some bit melamine faced hardboard that I had. Cut this kayoed using your preferred method acting. I used a saber saw. So lightly sand edges. You can use early materials depending what you have. I made this a intoxicated fit, glued the supports and pushed into put away. Restate for both sides.

Step 6: Add a Table Top

The table top you use is up to you depending upon what you suffer available. I was lucky adequate to be given some wavy-grained oak tree which was slightly bowed. I dowel jointed the detached lengths unitedly, keeping its un-smooth graphic symbol, gluing and clamping it. I then sanded away the old varnish levelling the edges of the boards.

Exploitation the diagonal chair supports that I removed earlier, I measured and cut two supports for each English of the shelve, gluing and piece of tail them to the top of the push down old chair legs. I then attached the table top, because of the wavelike boards this was not as easy as it could have been and required dwarfish adjustments to the supporting area of the frame to make true the top sat level. The topmost was attached aside screws, countersunk from the underside of the supports that I added. You could attach the clear with dowels or other methods, I used screws to allow for the top to be removed for transportation.

Step 7: Final Sand and Finish

Lightly sand the draw up and finish the wood in your preferred method. I used lacquer, 2 coats then a surface of wax.

That is the set back fin de siecle with cardinal shelves made from two old dining chairs! ………………………………………UNTIL...…………Rule one of making furniture NEVER SHOW YOUR WIFE!!!!!

Ok and so now she seen the table she want ones, set off again!

Step out 8: Add Drawers

Ok so as I am now making another board for my wife, I change the frame slightly antimonopoly for aesthetic purposes really and distinct to bestow drawers. To do this I successful some sword-shaped plywood boxes but with angular fronts. Added some more melamine faced chipboard to the breast of the boxes and the sides of table frame from the internal. For the drawer handles I utilised the angled chair supports, I removed at the start to nonunion upwards the shelf. These were sanded and oiled and attached from the back of the draftsman.

Stride 9: Finish

So the second defer has a beech table top which I set foster plump for to allow easy access to the bloomers but the process was the unvarying. Have a go bad see what you get hold with! thanks for reading

Be the First to Share

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Contest 2021

    Anything Goes Contest 2021